||West Nile Virus is a viral disease which can cause encephalitis, an infection of the brain and spinal cord. It is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person.
Symptoms of West Nile Virus:
- Slight fever
- Body aches
- Skin rash
- Swollen lymph glands
How can I protect myself?
- Wear light colored clothing.
- Use mosquito netting when sleeping outdoors.
- Avoid use of perfumes.
- Use insect repellant according to directions.
- Wear long sleeves and pants.
What can I do to control mosquito populations around him home?
- Dispose of unwanted tin cans, plastic containers and flower pots, eliminating places for mosquito to lay eggs.
- Empty bird baths and fill with fresh water at least once a week.
- Check and clean roof gutters.
- Turn over wading pools and wheel-barrels.
- Eliminate stagnant water including unused swimming pools.
- Toys and tarps can hold enough water to breed mosquito.