From dream to reality! The Ravenna Community Playground was designed from our children's dreams and ideas, funded through donations from the community, and built through the work of volunteers.
"It consumed the town, from a tiny spark to a roaring fire. Everyone pulled together. Children were in ecstasy! Parents glowed! We did this together."
In 2008 the Friends of the Park project saw to completion the creation of a community playground for our children to enjoy. In early summer, over 1000 volunteers converged on the site on N. Chestnut St. to make the dream a reality. The project began in 2006 with over 500 Ravenna elementary school students meeting with designers from Leathers & Associates to express their dreams and ideas for the park. At the end of the day, an amazing playland was unveiled featuring acastle, a tower with a dungeon for the boys and a beauty salon for the girls, a pirate ship, a rocket, and much much more.
Volunteers were recruited from all walks of life, both skilled construction professionals and those who had never touched a hammer participated. Donations were sought from individuals as well as businesses. Many individuals and businesses really stepped up to the plate and dug deep to make the project possible.
Today, the park, which is located on North Chestnut St. (SR 44) approximately 1/2 mile south of State Route 14, is a great asset to the community, providing a safe, enjoyable place for parents to bring their children to play. A community garden has also sprung up next to the park and ideas are already floating around for future projects at the site.